Wednesday, November 21, 2012

Google Drive is shameful

When Google launched Google Drive, more than a few months ago, I was thrilled.
Even though I am a Dropbox enthusiast (managed to get almost 22GB of free storage space in my Dropbox),
I was thrilled.
Dropbox is not allowed at my work place, and also their domain is blocked.
Also - the combination "dropbox like" service, and Google Groups was appealing, not to mention Google Docs on top of it.

For example - this way, I can very easily maintain files that I want to share with a big and dynamically changing list of users
(I maintain a couple of those for the PTA regularly).
No need for upload, publishing, making sure all files are in synch - just save once. America.

But Google Drive is a non-starter.
I am not even talking about its issues with very poor performance, reliability and resource hogging. I didn't get to those show stoppers.

I had two other issues that made GD DOA. (Dead On Arrival).


  1. Cannot co-share Google Drive folder.
    I have multiple user accounts on my PC. one for regular user, one for admin etc.
    In my case, I also want all my accounts to connect to the same GD account, and to point to the same folder. no go.
    when the second PC user conencts (using the same GD account) try to map the folder, it yells at me that this folder is already a GD folder. duh.
    Then, I have to define a different folder. and then - unbelievably, I ended up with two sets of the same files mirrored.
    C:\Users\RemoAdmin\Google Drive\myfiles...
    C:\Users\RemoRegUser\Google Drive\myfiles...
    I was so appalled  I didn't even bother to look how network wise smart is this local duplication is. oh boy.
    Needless to say, DropBox has no issue with multiple pointing.

  2. Cannot follow links
    For quite a few years already (since Windows 2000 i think) NTFS supports links. symlinks, juncture -
    everything you expect from a modern FS.
    It's not as commonly known as Unix hardlinks/symlinks where it's really a part of the folklore, but it's still very useful.
    With respect to GD (or DropBox for that matter) - where you have one folder of synching using links can be
    an elegant way to include files and folders from the outside within the synched folder.
    For me - who had been using DropBox when GD launched - I thoght to myself - I will give it a try,
    let's link my documents folders from the GD, so they can be synched there,
    thinking maybe I will switch to GD exclusively when I would see I am happy with it.
    DUH. Links (symlinks, hard links, junctures, punctures, you name it) are not followed in the synch. DUH.
    More than half a year since launching, not only that it's still not supported, I couldn't find Google stating when (and if) it will support that.
    Needless to say, DropBox has no issue with following links.


Given 1 & 2 - I didn't see a point in really using this service. I as a convenient back end to the few documents I post on the PTA site I maintain,
but this is really small number of files.

Google Drive - with it's ridiculous volume and 5GB (for free) and endless show stoppers is simply shameful.

I hope they fix it soon -  as DropBox other competitors (Box, SugarSynch) are so far behind, they will be irrelevant soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment